Monday, January 4, 2010

Irresolute

I've always sort of danced around that whole resolution thing...since I'm a list person, I've always loved making lists. However, it usually ended there. If I could make it to March even half-assedly keeping up with these resolutions, that was a great year!

Then, last year I made only one incredibly achievable resolution: floss my teeth every day. While I still failed, my days-between-flossing average declined precipitously. I think I now floss, on average, about once every 1.5 days. I'm very satisfied with this and am keeping it for next year. Keep things within reach, right?

2009 was a very long, hard, challenging, emotional year for me and I'm glad I made it through (relatively) unscathed. I look forward to 2010 as a year to blossom as myself. The me I always wanted to be, but haven't been.

Last year, I learned a LOT about myself as a person, and about what type of person I wanted to be. I realized that you don't get to decide when you're a grownup...it happens without your permission. I learned to accept that things can't always be perfect, that sometimes you only get one shot at something, and that it's OK to fail. Most importantly, I learned that you are a collection of your behavior, not what you resolve to be or how you think of yourself...but by what you do, what you say, and what you are.

When I think about 2010 and what it might hold, I think about everything I've learned in the last year and am hopeful I will put it to good use in the next.

Even though it's already Jan 5, I'm ok with being a bit slow to get started on my resolutions :) I'll edit this post as needed to reflect the new additions, but I really want to keep them simple. I'm throwing in a couple bound-to-fail-but-great-ideas to keep me pointed where I hope to go, but I'm also going to put in things I *know* I can do.

2010:
1. Floss daily (hey, it worked last year)
2. Work out 1x week
3. Half Marathon (yes, I *AM* crazy)
4. Spend more time with family
5. 100 Blog posts (I think this is a good way to keep track of what matters and what I've been doing)
6. go to bed before 11 (most nights)...i've been getting worse and worse about this one!
7. Use facebook/the internet (recreationally) less [this might be toooooo hard]



best wishes to you and yours in 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment